Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Kenyan Meal

During our time in Kenya we really ate like royalty. It's funny because I packed bags of snacks ( granola bars, trail mix, jerky, and more) thinking I really wouldn't eat that much. But, once again, I forgot. I had forgotten how much I love the food there. Call me crazy, it's ok. :-)

Pictured above is one of our usual dinners. I will do my best to describe the food to you. Your mouth may not be watering right now, but after one bite of chapati you will want it every day!

Teeny Tiny Bananas: Though small, they are scrumptious. And a safe fruit to eat on our own without worrying about getting sick. They are literally as big as my finger but completed any meal!

Chapati: ( by the bananas, looks like tortillas) I am in love with chapati. We had a cooking lesson where we learned how to make it. Once we are back from the wedding weekend I plan on introducing Trav. It is kind of a mix between a tortilla and flat bread. It is cooked on the griddle and so, so, so yummy!

Kachumbar:  ( behind chapati, red dish) A mix of chopped tomatoes and onions with a little pepper. 
(and probably something else) Surprisingly, a dish that seems so plain was so good! You usually eat it with ugali and one night we put it on noodles which was excellent.

Goat ribs: The first night we had them I devoured mine. They were so good! i was assuming it was chicken. No, that is a lie. It was darker than chicken but I guess I didn't want to question the source of my protein. Joel made a joke that one of the guard dogs was missing. Low and behold when we were finished we learned it was goat. First time I had it and loved it.

Ugali: ( the big, white ball) Ugali is a staple in Kenya. In the villages, it is eaten everyday. Usually the kids just get one serving of ugali each day. That's all they eat. If they are lucky they may have beans served with it or sukuma wiki. But since they all have maize crops it is the easiest and cheapest form of food. It is also served with meals at restaurants. You usually eat it by rolling it up with your fingers and dipping or scooping up the side dish with it.

Sukuma Wiki: ( the bowl of greens ) A make shift veggie stew. Usually kale, I believe. ( my mom would be proud I ate it!) The name itself means " stretch the week" because when they eat it they make it last a really long time.

So, as you can see, we did not go unfed. Instead, we ate traditional Kenyan meals and fell in love with some! Ooo, I am craving a warm piece of chapati right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment